Well once again Mikeyfan is going to bring controversy to the Blogs. Before I get into this let me explain I am a Tony Stewart Fan. He is my number 2 driver behind Michael Waltrip so I do wish him all the luck but I have to ask everyone...........................
WHAT MAKES EVERYONE THINK THAT RICK HENDRICKS WILL PROVIDE TONY STEWART WINNING EQUIPMENT?
I hope I can convey an intelligent argument for everyone to think about.
- Tony is not a teammate of Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Earnhardt Jr. or Mark Martin. Rich Hendricks will not receive any money from the sale of Tony's merchandise, he will not receive any of the winnings that Tony earns on the track. So for those who say Rick will sell him top equipment I for one don't see it.
- Why would Rick take a chance on Tony making the chase and one of his drivers miss the chase? Has anyone looked at the difference in the points money for being in the top 12 vs 13 to 25? That is a lot of money and Rick loves his money. Besides this is a business and in business the goal is to make money
- What would Ricks own drivers think if all of a sudden Tony is winning and they are not? Who has been the biggest threat to Jeff and JJ for the championship over the past 8 years? It's been Tony. This was ok when he was using someone elses equipment but it won't be ok if he beats them with their own equipment.
- Rick Hendricks has been providing engines to teams since DW left in 1991. The last time someone other than a HMS car won with a Hendricks motor was..........1992 and Darrell Waltrip. No one else has won a race since then. Right now the 66 and 70 cars are having a hard time qualifying with HMS motors and chassises outside of drivers talent what will be different?
- Will Rick share testing and Wind Tunnel data with Tony? Not a chance, he will not give Tony anything that he could use against his team for the win. This sport is all about winning and Rick will not give another team anything that could keep him out of the winners circle.
When you think about all the top teams they all have their own engine department, HMS, RCR/ECR, Roush/Yates, Everham(with Dodges help), JGR teaming with TRD. In fact Roush couldn't beat Yates for a long time so he bought Yates. The bottom line is championship teams do not rely on someone else to provide them "winning" equipment because they know they won't get it.
Also think about this, Daytona 2009, Tony is behind Dale Junior and has a chance to go with someone else, say Kyle Bush, that will give him a better chance to win. Will he show loyalty? Heck no. But then everyone will say this is the Daytona 500. Ok I'll give you that, now fast forward to Bristol or Richmond, Do you think Tony would hesitate for a second to bump and HMS car for a win? Rick cannot tell him that is a teammate up ahead and race them clean, Tony only has one teammate and that appears to be Newman.
I know there are a lot of people happy that Tony is back in a chevy. Most have an attitude, that Tony will show Toyota that chevy is better. Well has anyone seen what the selling price of GM stock is lately? Less than $10.00 share, the lowest it's been since 1954. What will Tony do if GM tells him that they cannot support his team? Can he survive without factory sponsorship?
I look for Tony to have a long and frustrating season next year. But I also know that Tony is smart enough to realize that the only way he can win will be to start his own engine department. When he does this then I would look for Tony to do well in 2010 but I doubt he makes the chase or top 15 in fact next season running HMS equipment. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I have seen the deception that Rick uses with his dealerships and I just don't see anything real good coming out of this.